The 29th conference of the European Second Language Association, EuroSLA 29, Lund, Aug. 28-31, 2019
First Call for papers EuroSLA 29, 2019
We are inviting proposals for presentations at EuroSLA 29 to be held in Lund, Sweden, August 28-31, 2019. All areas and approaches to the study of learning second/foreign/additional languages are welcome.
The academic programme will consist of presentations by the participants and four invited keynote speakers:
Lourdes Ortega (Georgetown University, USA)
Krister Schönström (Stockholm University, Sweden)
Minna Lehtonen (University of Oslo, Norway)
Rob Schoonen (Radboud University Nijmegen, the Netherlands)
There will also be a doctoral student workshop and a Language Learning Roundtable (topic: TBA)
Types of presentations
1) Individual paper. Length of presentation: 20 mins + 5 mins of Q&A.
2) Colloquia. We will accept a maximum of three colloquia. Each colloquium can have three or five thematically related papers (the length of a colloquium is therefore either 90 or 150 minutes, depending on the number of papers). The convener must submit a colloquium abstract which should describe the topic of the colloquium to enable reviewers to assess the range and coherence of the papers. Individual presenters submit individual papers but mark them as part of a named colloquium.
Note that a colloquium as a whole is only accepted if all included papers are accepted. Should the colloquium be rejected, individual papers can still be accepted as papers in parallel sessions.
3) Poster. A0, portrait.
4) Paper at the doctoral student workshop. Length of presentation: 15 mins of talk +15 mins of discussion. The doctoral student workshop is intended to serve as a platform for discussions of ongoing PhD research, and for obtaining feedback from senior researchers and other doctoral students. These sessions are an opportunity for PhD students to present their work (15 mins) and discuss future directions (15 mins). Students whose abstracts are accepted are required to send their abstracts, presentation, and a limited number of specific questions to the senior discussant ahead of the conference. The discussant will lead a 15 minute feedback/discussion session of the PhD work.
Abstract submission information
The submission of presentation proposals opens on December 7, 2018, and closes on January 31, 2019.
Submit the proposals online here.
The proposals for all presentations will be evaluated anonymously by at least three members of the EuroSLA 29 Scientific Committee. Evaluation criteria include the quality of the content and the clarity of the abstract, the contribution to the field, and thematic relevance. Colloquia will also be assessed according to range and coherence of the papers.
Notification of acceptance is communicated by the end of April 2019.
Length of abstracts
Individual paper, paper at the doctoral student workshop, or poster: max. 600 words including references
Colloquium, general abstract: max. 400 words including references.
The working language of the conference is English but presentations are also welcome in other European languages.
Each participant can appear as the first author on one presentation only. A colloquium convener can also present at the colloquium or elsewhere in the programme.
Student stipends As in previous years, several student stipends will be available for doctoral students. If you wish to apply, please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org before February 28, 2019.
- Name, institution, and address of institution;
- Official confirmation of PhD student status;
- Statement from supervisor or Head of department that the applicant’s institution cannot (fully) cover the conference-related expenses.
Please note that applicants who have already received such a stipend in the past are not eligible to re-apply.
For general questions, email@example.com
For questions concerning the colloquia, firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions concerning the posters, email@example.com
For questions concerning the doctoral workshop, firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to seeing you in Lund, Sweden, in August 2019!
The Local Organising Committee