Post-doctoral researcher in Mining Software Repositories and Natural Language Processing
JOB DESCRIPTION The University of Oulu is an international scientific community with approximately 3 000 employees. The strenghts of the University are wide multidisciplinary study/research interests and modern research and study environment and good cooperation with international educational and research institutes. More information http://www.oulu.fi/english/
M3S (Empirical Software Engineering in Software, Systems and Services) research unit (http://www.oulu.fi/m3s/) at the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering (http://www.oulu.fi/itee/) at the University of Oulu, Finland, is seeking a post-doctoral research fellow in Mining Software Repositories and Natural Language Processing starting preferably at Jan 2020 (negotiable).
The successful applicant will carry out their post-doc research in areas of natural language processing, and mining software repositories. The research work is part of the University of Oulu focus area “Digital solutions in sensing and interactions” (https://www.oulu.fi/university/focusarea/digital-solutions-in-sensing-and-interactions). In particular, NLP will be used to detect different types of technical debt from natural language appearing in source code and version control. The research is part of the project funded by Academy of Finland (local NSF). The project develops methods for NLP based technical debt detection. For public description see: <http://tiny.cc/zyyfcz>. The position may include also teaching/supervision duties (max. 5% of total working time).
M3S research unit’s research theme is empirical software engineering. M3S has a long tradition in industrial and international collaboration and has actively participated in large European research projects since the 1990’s. Over 30% of the research unit’s staff are international. Members of the research unit have published their research in leading software engineering journals and conferences, e.g. IEEE Transactions on SE, IEEE Software, Empirical SE, Information and Software Technology, Journal of Systems and Software, and International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE).
Conditions, requirements, and benefits
- A completed Doctoral degree in a related field, e.g. Computer Science, Software Engineering, Natural Language Processing. Students near completion can also apply.
- Good English skills (writing, speaking)
- Expertise in at least one of the following two topics: Mining Software Repositories, Natural Language Processing.
- A promising publication record
- Interest to gain independence and to build an academic career
- Interest to co-supervise PhD students and to supervise Master’s thesis students
- Possibility to do a post-doctoral research fellowship in a top-level research group
- Research Unit has excellent collaboration with industry
- International environment and projects, English as a working language
- Health care benefits provided by the employer
- Benefits of the Nordic welfare state, e.g. well-functioning daycare for children, safety, and beautiful nature.
Starting salary will be based on the job specific level 5 or 6 according to the university salary system for teaching and research staff of Finnish universities. In practice, the salary will be about 3300-4000 EUR/month. The post-doc position is fixed-term for 3 years. There is a 6 month trial period at the beginning of employment.
Applications, including attachments, should be submitted using the electronic application form by 10 November, 2019 (23:59 Finnish time UTC+2).
The following must be attached to the application:
1) Brief curriculum vitae in English,
2) Motivation letter,
3) Doctoral dissertation document or a link for online access (preferred)
4) Three publications that are deemed relevant to the postdoctoral position
5) Contact information for two references
For further information regarding the filling of this post:
Professor Mika Mäntylä
e-mail: mika.mantyla (at) oulu.fihttp://mikamantyla.eu/ Continue reading JOB DETAILS
|Title||Post-doctoral researcher in Mining Software Repositories and Natural Language Processing|
|Employer||University of Oulu|
|Job location||Pentti Kaiteran katu 1, 90570 Oulu|
|Published||September 17, 2019|
|Application deadline||November 10, 2019|
|Fields||Computational Linguistics, Programming Languages, Software Engineering, Software Design, Computational Sciences|
Job alert Share this job